How You Can Receive God’s Gift of Eternal Life
- Understand that eternal life is God’s precious gift to you through Jesus Christ alone (Acts 4:12). You cannot earn it. Eternal life and forgiveness from your sin is not something you deserve: “For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result of genuine salvation. God requires that we live righteously, but our good works cannot forgive even one sin (Ephesians 2:10).
- Acknowledge your sin before God and your need of God’s gift of salvation through Christ. We have all sinned (e.g. selfishness, lying, lust, anger, swearing, unforgiveness, stealing, disobedience to God and parents, idolatry, etc). “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
- If you do not receive God’s merciful provision for your salvation and sin, realize that you will be eternally separated from God in an eternal hell. “For the wages (payment) of sin is (eternal) death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23; Revelation 21:10-15).
- Believe the fact that Our Heavenly Father so loved you that He sent Jesus Christ – God the Son – to die upon the Cross as the only solution and provision for you to be saved from your sin. “There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them” (Acts 4:12).
- Humbly turn from sin now and receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. “But to as many as received Him (Jesus) to them He gave the power to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12).
- Prepare your heart to receive Jesus Christ by genuine repentance. By His grace, turn from sin and surrender your life to Him. Believe or trust in the fact that Jesus has paid the full penalty for your sin on the Cross: “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord” (Acts 3:19). Jesus is LORD and the “Author” and “Finisher” of our faith (2 Peter 1:8-14; Hebrews 12:1-3).
- Pray and sincerely ask Jesus Christ to come into your life and save you from your sin. Ask Him to be the Lord of every area in your life from today and always: “For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9).
When you honestly do this, you will be “born again” from above by God’s Spirit (John 3:3-8). Would you like a call or visit? We can pray with you concerning your special needs. Jesus clearly states that you must become an active part of His Church, the local Body of Christ (Heb. 10:23-27).